University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire
Director of Grants and Contracts
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
A full-time fixed term administrative and professional academic staff position in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs for Director of Grants and Contracts is available at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire http://www.uwec.edu/orsp/index.htm. The position reports to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research and Sponsored Programs; the official UW System administrative title is Administrative Program Manager III.
- Provide dynamic and creative leadership for the University’s external funding programs, maintaining open communication with faculty, staff and administration.
- Participate in appropriate professional activities at the regional and national level and stay informed about emerging issues and opportunities relative to sponsored programs.
- Direct the development and submission of university-wide grant proposals.
- Coordinate contracts and subaward development and review.
- Supervise and work with the Grants Coordinator to:
o Understand and track the current and evolving research, teaching, and service interests and capabilities of the University’s faculty and staff and match these with a wide variety of funding sources (governmental, industry, and private).
o Assist faculty and staff in the preparation of extramural proposals, as needed, including conceptualization, editing, budget and budget narrative preparation, and adherence to guidelines and requirements.
o Disseminate information about funding and collaboration opportunities to faculty and staff.
o Provide in-service training for faculty and staff to stimulate and improve grant-seeking activity.
o Maintain records and generate reports on sponsored program activity.
- In collaboration with the Business Services, colleges and other administrative units, support post-award grant management.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience in research administration, including demonstrated ability in proposal development, review and submission, budget development and negotiation, contract review, and sponsored project compliance. Five years research administration experience with increasing responsibility in a sponsored programs office or academic unit is preferred.
- Knowledge of funding sources to support research, instruction, and public service across a broad range of disciplines.
GENERAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES SOUGHT:
- Ability to provide leadership and communicate effectively and work collegially with a variety of constituencies.
- An understanding of the place of scholarly activity in relation to the mission of the University.
- A concern for campus-wide service and a commitment to quality, integrity and responsiveness.
- Ability to contribute to University’s commitment to enhancing diversity.
Send letter of application detailing how your qualifications and experience meet the requirements for this position, copy of transcript of highest degree (original required at time of hire), Vita, and the names and contact information of at least three individuals who can provide recommendations. Please send these in electronic format (preferably .pdf) to Kristine Retherford, Chair, Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions should be addressed to Heather Johnson Schmitz at that email address or at (715) 836-3405.
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by July 28, 2009. However, screening may continue until position is filled. The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Applicants’ names are subject to public release unless confidentiality has been requested in writing. Names of all finalists must be released. A criminal background check will be required prior to employment. UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO employer dedicated to enhancing diversity.
Univ. of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Office of Research
Research and Sponsored Programs
UW-Eau Claire, 17 Schofield Hall
Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004
Authorized to work in the US