Asst. Director of Research Administration Training
Job Req ID: 112494
Asst. Director of Research Administration Training
Join Johns Hopkins University's Research Administration (JHURA) team and be an integral part of a global institution dedicated to advancing knowledge and discovery. As the Assistant Director of Research Administration Training with JHURA, you will play a crucial role in shaping the learning and development landscape for the university's research administration community. We are looking for a dynamic individual who can lead with vision, strategic thinking, and operational prowess to optimize individual, team, and organizational performance.
Being a Part of Something Bigger Reporting directly to the JHURA Administrator, the Assistant Director of Research Administration Training will spearhead a new and expanded learning and development function within JHURA. This pivotal role will establish a vision and strategy that is closely aligned with current and emerging priorities by ensuring the optimization of individual, team, and organizational performance.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Training and Leadership (100%)
- Oversee the development and execution of the expansion of training and education programs for JHURA research administration, including writing and delivering research administration training for the entire university.
- Act as the primary point of contact for JHURA customer inquiries related to research administration training needs and JHURA systems training.
- Facilitate engaging adult learning experiences through the development and delivery of participatory activities, both in-person and virtually.
- Build effective research administrators through skill-building, feedback, and coaching.
- Lead training development with co-facilitators and other training partners.
- Implement a training quality improvement strategy.
- Develop surveys and compile feedback for training activities.
- Identify knowledge gaps throughout the research administration lifecycle and design educational/training solutions, incorporating changes in protocols, practices, and workflow.
- Develop and administer learning management system components, including identifying appropriate delivery technologies and leading the preparation of training materials
- Facilitate certified research administrator (CRA) study groups.
- Host meetings with departmental staff for specialized training needs.
- Maintain accurate data on all training program participants.
- Anticipate future training needs and implement creative solutions.
- Direct the activities of support staff.
- Supervise 1 – 3 staff.
- Demonstrated ability to train and mentor others.
- Experience in research administration.
- Excellent listening, public speaking, and team-building skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft suite of tools.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Adaptability to new assignments and changing requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written, writing samples required).
- Self-starter attitude while working collaboratively with a flexible and dynamic team.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field, master's preferred.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience, preferably in Research Administration.
- This is a flexible hybrid role that, when necessary, will require work on JHU campuses for the purpose of conducting training or meeting with stakeholders.
- Experience at Johns Hopkins in research administration.
- Experience facilitating training in higher education programs.
- Understanding of instructional design for engaging learning solutions.
- Ability to assess and implement the right solution for identified needs.
- Experience with learning management systems.
- Knowledge of key principles of online education and adult learning.
- Ability to use learning metrics and analytics for informed decision-making.
Classified Title: Training Manager
Job Posting Title (Working Title): Asst. Director of Research Administration Training
Starting Salary Range: Min $72.600 - Max $127,000 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Eastern High Campus
Department name: Research Administration Ofc of
Personnel area: University Administration
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University’s good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate’s conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. The COVID-19 vaccine does not apply to positions located in the State of Florida. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Hybrid: On-site 1-2 days a week