Research Compliance Administrator
As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as virology, advanced multi-scale fluorescence and electron microscopy, metabolism and regenerative biology. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
The Morgridge institute for Research seeks a Research Compliance Administrator to be part of the Sponsored Programs team. As a member of the Sponsored Programs team, the Research Compliance Administrator will be responsible for ensuring institute compliance on a Sponsored Programs from a variety of different organizations including NIH, NSF, other federal agencies and many private foundations.
Primary Responsibilities – Maintaining Institute Compliance in Sponsored Programs
Policies and Procedures
- Develop policies and procedures to maintain compliance with regulatory requirements
- Monitor changes in the regulatory environment and assist with the interpretation of emerging federal, state and local laws and regulations, as it relates to the review and oversight of research compliance
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of government regulations and guidelines through professional conferences and publications, webinars, and seminars, in addition to monitoring agency websites and publications.
- Review and update existing policies and procedures on a regular basis with the goal to stay current
- Communicate required Sponsored Program policies to research staff as needed via different mechanisms (in person, brown bag, intranet)
- Provide training on compliance related topics as needed
- Maintain disclosure and compliance documents for Morgridge Investigators
- Collaboratively develop and maintain checklists for accurate and compliant proposal, subrecipient, and award processing.
- Process subrecipient awards, including performing risk assessments of new collaborative entities and recommending mitigation measures.
- Conduct annual single audit review, annual risk assessment; and review and track Financial Conflict of Interest Disclosures, FFATA reporting. Issue new subawards in a compliant and timely manner
- Maintain Responsible Conduct of Research requirements and training documentation
- Maintain institute’s SAM.gov registration including review and confirmation of federal certifications and representations
- Complete institute FFATA reporting
- Complete equity reviews for intellectual property reporting
- Act as sponsored program liaison for restricted party screening
- Other duties as needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation will be considered and may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- Strong knowledge of compliance-related responsibilities including conflict of interest in research as well as IACUC and IRB processes
- Preferred experience in Uniform Guidance regulation, FAR and other rules and regulations regarding federal awards, and NIH, NSF and other major funding agency policies.
- Preferred experience with non-federal sponsors such as AACR, SU2C, ACS, and other Foundations that support biomedical research.
- Experience in Research Administration
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred, CRA certification desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of various state and federal laws relating to Foreign Influence, Research/Sponsored Research, Reporting Outside Activities, Receiving Gifts, International Travel, etc.
- Proficient multi-tasker, with strong communication skills and flexibility in shifting priorities when needed
- Ability to prioritize projects and work quickly with a high level of accuracy and meet established deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on several complex projects at once with a minimum of supervision
- Prior experience with critical thinking, project management, document management and client interactions
- Interest in using technology and data/metrics to work more efficiently and intelligently
- Familiarity with research compliance and export control issues and controls (e.g., Visual Compliance)
- Strong computer skills in MS Office (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Google (email, shared drives/sheets/docs, etc.), Internet Browsers, Adobe Acrobat/Live Cycle.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude and provide exemplary customer service
- Ability to present workshops/training sessions
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and promoting an environment of accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion
In order to insure the safety of our workplace, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required unless an exemption is granted for medical, disability or religious reasons.