Award Setup Manager
The University of Virginia’s Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) seeks an Award Setup Manager, reporting to the Associate Director of Pre-Award, responsible for the award setup process for the University of Virginia. This position is eligible to be remote, hybrid, or in-person!
The Award Setup Manager possesses a comprehensive understanding of grants and contracts administration, has extensive experience setting up awards in financial systems (Workday Financials) and research administration systems (Huron Grants and Agreements). This position is responsible for the oversight of the award setup and award modification processes including leading training, reviewing award setup errors, delegation of workload, daily reconciliation, and coordination with other colleagues on process improvement and reporting. The Award Setup Manager will also oversee and coordinate the review of award setups in Huron Grants and Agreements and Workday Financials for quality, serve as a resource for the University faculty and staff, and create and maintain standard operating procedures governing award setup and award modifications. This position is expected to have six direct reports.
OSP's mission is to provide leadership in research administration, support the research endeavors of University faculty, ensure the responsible stewardship of research funding, and oversee the submission of proposals and the negotiation and acceptance of awards by the University according to State, University and sponsor regulations.
- Hiring, onboarding, and training of staff
- Facilitation of the award setup training program
- Quarterly performance discussions and annual reviews
- Mentoring and professional development of staff
- Workday HR activities (e.g., leave, performance feedback, access requests, etc.)
- Managing distribution of workload – including quarterly re-evaluation of portfolio assignments
- Monitoring Quality and Timeliness of Work – through spot checks, reconciliation reports and other means, reviewing award setup errors to ensure consistency and adjust training as needed, addressing issues as they arise
- Communicating trends and ongoing issues to supervisor
Individual Contributor Duties:
- Completion of award setup actions (complex and/or aged) and others as needed to cover vacancies, leave and surges in volume
- Ongoing process improvement and maintenance of process documentation, including coordination with other areas within OSP and stakeholders within the University
- Active involvement in Huron and Workday system improvements, including assisting with testing for updates or new functionality
- Daily review of quality assurance related reconciliation reports, development of new reports, including coordination with Info Team on reconciliation for quarterly/annual reporting
- Strong listening, communication, and delegation abilities.
- Adaptability to learn new systems quickly and grasp complex concepts and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency at developing and maintaining standard operating procedures and sustain compliance with state, federal and University policies.
- Advanced knowledge of sponsored program award setups.
- Mentor new research administrators by providing training and guidance.
- Experience training individuals in a complex process
- Involvement in system implementation and improvements
- Management of direct reports
- Expert knowledge of Huron Grants and Agreements and/or Workday Financials
Education: Bachelor's degree
Experience: Five years of grant and contract experience. Four additional years of experience may be accepted in lieu of degree.
Licensure: Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certification is preferred.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
Please apply online, and search for R0056818. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching ‘Find Jobs.’ Complete an application online with the following documents:
- Cover letter
Upload all materials into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Applications that do not contain all required documents will not receive full consideration.
References will be completed via UVA’s standardized process Skill Survey. A total of five references will be requested via SkillSurvey during the final phase of the interview process.
For questions about the application process, please contact Jessica Speth, Academic Recruiter, at email@example.com