Senior Vice Provost for Research
At Hofstra University, intellectual curiosity is not just aspirational – it is central to how we engage on a daily basis. Hofstra faculty work within a diverse scholarly community committed to student success, intellectual discovery, free inquiry, inclusivity, and collaboration. Enrolling more than 10,000 students, Hofstra offers students an array of undergraduate and graduate academic programs spanning the arts, humanities, sciences, business, engineering, law, health care, communications, and more. Our accomplished faculty collaborate with students to explore interdisciplinary questions and produce innovative research that lays the foundation for future personal and professional success. With a beautiful campus in Hempstead, NY, Hofstra's location seamlessly merges the tranquility of coastal suburban living with the boundless opportunities of nearby New York City.
Hofstra University seeks candidates who will contribute to a supportive climate for students, faculty, and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We especially encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
The Senior Vice Provost for Research reports directly to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, playing a critical role serving as Hofstra’s chief research officer in providing strategic, analytical, and operational leadership to ensure research excellence. As Hofstra University grows into a dynamic and impactful R2 university, the Senior Vice Provost for Research will be a visible advocate for the growth, quality, and distinctive impact of scholarly research and creative endeavors across the full breadth of Hofstra’s academic programs. The Senior Vice Provost for Research fosters collaborative and productive relationships with the academic deans, faculty, and external constituents to drive scholarly research excellence while building a strong administrative infrastructure to support research excellence across the diverse range of academic divisions at Hofstra University. The successful candidate will have an established record of research, including successful procurement of sponsored funds from the federal government and other external sponsors. Prior administrative experience and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion are expected.
The successful candidate, with appropriate credentials, may be eligible for a tenured faculty position.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Leads and visibly advocates for growth, quality, and impact of scholarly research and creative endeavors across all academic disciplines.
● Serves as a campus leader in research capacity building and research administration, attentive to national trends and best practices.
● Builds and sustains a strong infrastructure to support faculty efforts to identify, secure and manage sponsored program funding.
● Connects faculty to funding opportunities and sponsors from federal, state, and local government agencies, industry, and foundations.
● Provides guidance and recommendations for allocation of graduate program resources, including enrollment management strategies, program marketing, and student scholarships.
● Oversees and develops plans, policies, practices, and procedures to ensure effective and efficient operations of research administration and research infrastructure.
● Develops methods and practices to gather data and to analyze and report on scholarly research productivity.
● Develops and supports graduate student education and funded training programs in collaboration with the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Professional Programs and the deans.
● Leads, mentors, and develops the sponsored programs staff.
● Oversees all aspects of research regulatory affairs and compliance, including the University’s Institutional Review Board, human subjects, animal care research programs, biosafety, and research integrity.
● Ensures best practices for the generation, protection, and commercial development of intellectual property, including patent licensing, technology transfer, and entrepreneurship.
● Supports academic efforts to engage students in the research enterprise and experience.
● Represents and advocates for Hofstra’s research interests in local, regional, national, and international settings.
● Serves as a member of the Provost’s Senior Leadership Team, working closely with the Provost and other senior administrators to support institutional responsibilities and priorities.
● Serves as Provost liaison to the Faculty Senate on all matters pertaining to research and research compliance.
● Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
● A terminal degree, e.g. PhD
● A scholarly record commensurate with leading research at an emerging R2 institution.
● Demonstrated experience and accomplishments in sponsored research programs.
● A demonstrated ability to work in and promote a diverse and inclusive community.
● A working knowledge of research regulations and policies, including but not limited to 2 CFR 200 (Uniform Guidance).
● Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
● Ability to establish excellent working relationships with key stakeholders, including vice provosts, deans, graduate program directors, and other relevant university administrative offices.
● Ability to handle sensitive information with absolute discretion.
● Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
● Highest ethics and integrity and the ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making in a complex context.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Complete applications will be given full consideration if received by 12/01/2023, the position will remain open until filled. Interested individuals should submit their application at https://hofstra.peopleadmin.com/postings/2660 with: (1) a letter of application containing their reasons for applying and describing their qualifications for the position; (2) a curriculum vitae (indicating their specific experience in administration/procurement of extramural funding for research); (3) a letter of intent outlining their strategies for promoting research at Hofstra and describing their vision for the broader impact of the role of Senior Vice Provost for Research. Additional information about Hofstra University, its academic divisions, facilities, etc. can be found at: https://www.hofstra.edu/.