The Public Health Institute (PHI) is a large non-profit public health organization conducting a broad range of public health research, training, and technical assistance programs in California, throughout the nation, and around the world. PHI is seeking a full time Bid & Proposal Manager (BPM). This position is located in Oakland, CA.
PHI’s Development Department currently provides pre-award bid and proposal development services to over 100 investigators for grant and contract applications to federal, state and other agencies. With direction and guidance from the Vice President of Development, Communications & Public Relations, the BPM is responsible for organizing and managing PHI’s grant and contract applications to federal and state agencies and foundation funders. The BPM interacts with the Senior Management, Principal Investigators and Project Directors, staff, as well as representatives of federal, state, and private funding agencies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Evaluate grant applications for fit with PHI’s mission and goals and conformance to funders’ guidelines and PHI’s policies and standards.
- Review and approve proposals including risk analysis, budgets, and compliance issues.
- In consultation with the Vice President, Development, Communications & Public Relations, develop, document, publish and implement departmental procedures.
- Supervise a team of 3-4 Development Specialists including coordination of activities; evaluation of performance; and development of training plans.
- Use and maintain custom database tracking system to provide routine and ad hoc information to senior management and text necessary for proposal submission.
- Insure smooth coordination and transition with other departments; field requests for information and clarification of policies and procedures.
- Participate on interdepartmental management team.
- A Bachelor's degree is required.
- At least 10 years of related experience with increasing responsibility in proposal development to include 5 years of management level pre-award experience in a university or large nonprofit setting with demonstrated expertise with federal and state contract and grant regulations as they apply to nonprofit organizations.
- The ability to function under deadline pressures.
- Must be knowledgeable about current federal, state, and private grant application rules, regulations, and application packages.
- The ability to multi-task effectively.
- Excellent knowledge of grammar and spelling.
- The ability to work extended hours as necessary.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- This is an exempt position and the salary is commensurate with experience. PHI offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b (tax sheltered annuity) and partial subsidy of public transportation cost. For more information about PHI’s benefits, please visit www.phi.org.
How to apply:
- To apply for this position go to PHI’s Career Site at www.phi.jobs.
- Only for applicants without access to the internet, PHI’s mailing address for this position is listed below. Please send cover letter and resume March 8, 2009 to:
Public Health Institute
555 – 12th Street, 10th Floor
Department #027, Oakland, CA 94607-4046
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Public Health Institute
555 12th Street
Oakland, CA 94607
Authorized to work in the US