Director, Research Ethics and Governance
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Director, Research Ethics and Governance reporting to the Vice Provost, Research Policies & Governance.
The Office of Research Ethics and Governance is responsible for the oversight and management of research ethics and governance at NYU Abu Dhabi. This comprises the protection of human subjects in research, and participating in related committees including the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and the Research Ethics Committee (REC); the care and use of animals in teaching and research, including the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC); the use of recombinant and synthetic DNA, biological agents, toxins, and human stem cells, including the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC); the faculty financial conflict of interest and commitment process, including the ad hoc committee that reviews special cases; the Responsible Conduct of Research training program; and research misconduct.
The Director leads the Office of Research Ethics and Governance and supports the Vice Provost for Research Policies and Governance in ensuring an ethical, safe, and productive environment for all research that occurs at NYU Abu Dhabi. Integral to these efforts, the Director must develop and foster collaborative relationships across overlapping and intersecting units at NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU New York, including but not limited to offices of Research, Environmental Health and Safety, Legal and Compliance, Lab Operations, Procurement, and Pre- and Post-Award Services.
The Director must promote and ensure compliance wherever applicable with regulatory requirements in the United States, Abu Dhabi, and the United Arab Emirates, and in general foster an ethical and safe research environment in line with international best practices. This includes meeting and working with local and international regulatory agencies when required, and ensuring any necessary documentation is reported to such agencies as needed.
- Provide strategic support to the Vice Provost for Research Policies and Governance to support NYU Abu Dhabi’s research and teaching mission
- Oversee and manage all areas of responsibility of the Office of Research Ethics and Governance including:
- The human research protection program
- The animal care and use program
- The use of recombinant and synthetic DNA, biological agents, and toxins
- The use of human stem cells in research
- The faculty financial conflict of interest and commitment process
- The Responsible Conduct of Research program
- Research integrity and misconduct
- Provide representation on all relevant committees to ensure compliance in the abovementioned areas including the IRB, IACUC, IBC, and COI Committee
- Develop and regularly review and update the University's research ethics strategy to ensure NYU Abu Dhabi’s research is conducted according to the highest ethical standard and in line with regulatory requirements, legislative changes, and best practices.
- Develop internal processes, procedures and research ethics programs to ensure NYUAD's research is conducted with the highest standards and is compliant with national and international guidelines and regulations
- Provide guidance regarding the interpretation of regulations, laws, and policies on matters of ethics and compliance to researchers, staff, students and NYUAD administrators
- Assist with disseminating educational resources and training programs for staff, faculty, committee members, and research teams. Develop and deliver regular training programs on research ethics and new developments in the field of research governance.
- Serve as the NYU Abu Dhabi resource on all ethics and governance policy and procedures for governmental authorities and regulatory bodies
- Coordinate development of website material and external communication relating to research ethics and governance
- Monitor federal regulatory websites and other research-related resources, and participate in professional organizations, workshops, and trainings to stay current with regulatory changes in research related guidelines and policies
- Supervise and develop staff in the Research Ethics and Governance Administration team