Director of Research Strategy
About the Job
The Director for Research Strategy reports to the Vice Dean for Research and supports the Vice Dean in advancing Medical School-wide research initiatives, programs and processes. As a part of this work, the Director provides day-to-day direction for the project management team, coordinates work across the Vice Dean Office, and ensures connection between the Vice Dean’s team and the rest of the Dean’s office leaders. Internal to the Medical School, the Director collaborates and coordinates with Center/Institute Directors, the Research Council, faculty, and staff across the school to advance the research mission and the Vice Dean’s/Dean’s strategic goals. The Director also partners with colleagues across the entire University of Minnesota system, including (but not limited to): the Office of the Vice President for Research, Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Masonic Cancer Institute, UMN Foundation, and other UMN collegiate and support units. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Research Strategy and Operational Leadership (80%)
- Lead strategic initiatives and projects from conception through implementation to reduce barriers to research, enhance support for faculty and staff, and improve processes and procedures based on the Dean’s and Vice Dean’s vision and goals.
- Develop innovative solutions for complex, systemic problems impacting the entire Medical School. This includes responding to long-standing problems as well as issues as they emerge by coordinating and collaborating with faculty and staff across the Medical School as well as partners outside of the Medical School.
- Direct the development, management, and implementation of new programs, policies and procedures.
- Develop reporting processes, evaluation tools and metrics for the Medical School’s centers, institutes, and programs as well as other internal programs to determine programmatic success and inform future investments with the ultimate goal of minimizing costs while maximizing benefits for advancing research.
- Assist the Vice Dean and other Medical School leaders with the development and start-up of new Medical School-wide centers and institutes.
- Draft and negotiate MOUs and other agreements on behalf of the Vice Dean.
Research Office Operations (20%)
- Provide direct supervision of a team of three or more professional and administrative staff
- Develop, manage and direct the Research Office budget.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of relevant professional experience, including work with senior or executive level leadership, in higher education, non-profit or public sectors.
- Mature judgment and demonstrated ability to act with substantial discretion, balance competing priorities, and advance priorities independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively, cross-organizationally, and with organizations outside the University to address complex issues.
- Strong research, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and critical thinking skills; adaptability to meet consistently changing demands.
- Collegiality, approachability and diplomacy at all levels of an organization.
Salary: $130,000+ depending on qualifications and experience
About the Medical School
One School. Two Campuses.
The Mission of the University of Minnesota Medical School is to be a leader in enhancing the health of people through the education of skilled, compassionate and socially responsible physicians. With two campuses serving diverse populations in rural and urban Minnesota, the Medical School is dedicated to preeminent primary care medicine, exemplary specialty care and innovative research.
In addition to the overall Mission, the Duluth campus has a unique focus on rural and American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) health and family medicine with a mission to be a national leader in improving healthcare access and outcomes in rural Minnesota and AI/AN communities. This is done by educating medical students dedicated to serving rural Minnesota and AI/AN communities, fostering excellence in research, emphasizing the training of physicians in family medicine, creating strong partnerships locally, regionally, nationally and internationally and working in diverse, innovative, interdisciplinary, and inter-professional teams.
Any questions please reach out to Isaac Johnson, Human Resources Business Partner, at email@example.com.