Visiting Research Specialist
Visiting Research Specialist
College of Medicine/Department of Pediatrics
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO (UIC)
About the University of Illinois Chicago
UIC is among the nation's preeminent urban public research universities, a Carnegie RU/VH research institution, and the largest university in Chicago. UIC serves over 34,000 students, comprising one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation and is designated as a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Through its 16 colleges, UIC produces nationally and internationally recognized multidisciplinary academic programs in concert with civic, corporate and community partners worldwide, including a full complement of health sciences colleges. By emphasizing cutting-edge and transformational research along with a commitment to the success of all students, UIC embodies the dynamic, vibrant and engaged urban university. Recent "Best Colleges" rankings published by U.S. News & World Report, found UIC climbed up in its rankings among top public schools in the nation and among all national universities. UIC has nearly 260,000 alumni, and is one of the largest employers in the city of Chicago.
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Illinois at Chicago is seeking a Visiting Research Specialist. This position performs research activities through the preparation of literature reviews and also assists with the collection, organization, coding and cleaning of data and descriptive results from participants.
- Assist the senior research staff in working with participants of various research studies. This will include developing and implementing questionnaires, interviewing and participating in screenings for individuals to become a part of the studies and collecting data accordingly through phone screenings, interviews, and other data collection methodologies in conjunction with the aims of the grants.
- Continually participate in weekly team meetings with research personnel to go over the aims of the studies, including assisting in reviewing the protocols and methodologies used and participate in adapting to data collection and data analysis efforts based on any recommended changes.
- Assist data collection staff in preparing raw data collected for the execution of the details of the studies.
- Monitor accuracy, clean data and ensure data integrity according to outlined methodologies. Perform initial data analysis, documenting results for further study.
- Based on the needs of the Principal Investigator, will conduct detailed literature searches to aid in the aims of the research protocols. Organize libraries in EndNote (or other software) for easy reference for the Principal Investigator and other research personnel.
- Order study supplies and maintain inventories for all studies, including the BRIDGE CRC and T32 projects and keep inventory of lab supplies.
- Maintain detailed records of study results and prepare ad-hoc reports as needing, including monitoring the activities of the T32 fellows program. Track fellows progress on research projects, publications, and career development activities. Assist with scientific manuscript preparation and publications.
- Work with team on grant proposal preparation and submissions as new research opportunities are presented.
- Assist the Principal Investigator in processing all required grant-related paperwork, including organizing and participating in bi-annual reviews and external review meetings.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in social science or related field required. Master degree in social science preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years related experience.
- Possesses and applies comprehensive knowledge of research principles, concepts, practices and methods.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
The university provides accommodations to applicants and employees. Request an Accommodation