Research Grants and Contract Manager
The Research Grants and Contracts Manager will be responsible for working with Principal Investigators (PI) within the Craig Research Department to provide direct support of proposal preparation and submission, as well as post-award through grant close out contract and financial management. This position will perform support functions for Craig's PIs, with a focus on ensuring that PIs have accurate and timely information to make decisions, and will take ownership over and shape research grants and contracts processes to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and other requirements as needed. This position will liaise with the business office to coordinate financial management of grants, and assist research leadership in the development of department budgets and staffing. The Research Grant and Contracts Manager will take on an increasingly complex research portfolio.
- Licensure/Certification/Registrations: Certified Research Administrator (CRA) required.
- Education: BS/BA degree required. Bachelors in business, accounting or finance preferred.
- Experience: 5-7 years experience managing federal grants (NIH, DoD, NIDILRR) required. Experience in sponsored research administration working with proposal, contract, and award review and management strongly preferred.
- Skills & Abilities: Must possess working knowledge of federal policies: 2 CFR 200 (Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards), FAR, NIH Policies and Procedures, and current issues in sponsored research administration. Ability to think critically about programmatic, financial, and policy issues. Ability to foster and maintain collaboration with other departments, institutions and programs. Demonstrated excellence in written communication skills. The ability to effectively communicate with people to convey or exchange information. Review and understand specifics regarding proposal writing. Ability to work competently and effectively under stress. Ability to meet frequent deadlines within short time frames. Excellent organization and customer service skills. Ability to successfully handle multiple priorities and prioritize and schedule accordingly. Must be able to successfully and effectively communicate with a variety of personnel. Must function well independently and as a part of a team. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Coordinate all proposal submissions for PIs, including meeting with the PI to discuss proposed resources (labor and non-labor), draft all administrative components of the proposal (including the budget), and coordinate submission to the sponsor with Research Department leadership (depending on type of proposal).
- Maintain proposal submission records for all PIs. Meet with PIs regularly to discuss upcoming proposal submissions. Examine awards for suitability of terms and conditions, review budgets with PI regularly.
- Coordinate personnel and purchasing activities related to grants and contracts with the PI and Business Office; review Department Detail Performance Report, budget adjustment forms, Journal Vouchers, Travel Authorizations and Reimbursements, Invoices, Check Requests, Expense Reimbursements, and Purchase Requisitions, etc. pertaining to grants and contracts as necessary.
- Assist with ensuring Research and Non-Research payroll distribution is correctly allocated for grants and contracts on a monthly basis and process changes, as needed.
- With the Research leadership, administer grants by monitoring award and subawards/contracts for compliance, analyze monthly financial reports, communicate with PIs regarding financial progress, and coordinate activities at the end of the budget period.
- Act as liaison between the Research Department and Business Office to communicate and resolve any issues that arise concerning financial status of awards. Work with the Business Office to maintain accounting records for all awards and to ensure all awards are reviewed against the General Ledger on a monthly basis.
- Develop and update hospital policies and procedures to be in line with hospital best practices and in compliance with federal, state, local, and hospital policy.
** This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned.