Assistant Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration - Office of Research & Innovation
Anticipated Hiring Range: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 AM are normal hours. Regular overtime required due to uncertain nature of work load
Job Location: Raleigh, NC
Department: Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)
About the Department
The Office of Research and Innovation (ORI) is the primary administrator of NC State's research enterprise. It supports the university's research, scholarship and creative activities by promoting collaborative research and an innovative environment.
The vice chancellor for research is NC State's chief research officer. As such, the vice chancellor oversees research administration and management and intellectual properties and also works with the office of partnerships to manage relationships with industry and government agencies.
ORI takes on many responsibilities, some of which include securing funding, promoting interdisciplinary collaboration, educating on research best practices and facilitating research commercialization. With ORI support, NC State continues to be a global research leader that merges academia, industry and government to discover and create innovative solutions to challenges across North Carolina and beyond.
The Integrated Support Service Center (ISSC), within ORI, delivers a full array of administrative, business, financial, and research administration services for ORI, Core Facilities and other units. These shared services include but are not limited to:
• Research proposal and award management services: pre and post-award project administration as well as fiscal and accounting services custom tailored to fit client needs.
• Strategic Research Fund investment, management and record keeping. These services financially support Provost Faculty Start-Up and Retention Equipment Acquisition, Cost Share (contractual and voluntary), Core Facilities, Seed fund programs, Research Development, etc.
•General accounting, budget management and financial services, and Research Planning and Reporting
The effective operation of the ISSC division involves strategic alliances and interactions with other university units such as the offices of the Provost, Finance and Business, individual Research Administration offices and programs, as well as directly with principal investigators. These services directly support and are essential to every element of the University's strategic plan.
Essential Job Duties
A critical overarching responsibility for this position is to serve as the chief financial and administrative officer for the Office of Research & Innovation (ORI) and Core Research Facilities reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Research. The position is critical to the operation of these units. Many of the day-to-day responsibilities of the position are executive management responsibilities for overseeing the financial and administrative activities for the entire division as well as partnering with the Vice Chancellor and the ORI Leadership Team on policy and strategic matters. Position holds direct and indirect responsibility and input for distribution/use of $60+ million in annual F&A receipts. The position is also directly responsible for $82 million in annual funding from various fund groups including State Appropriations, F&A, Contracts & Grants, Appropriated Receipts, Agency • Funds, Auxiliary Trust Funds, Endowments, Foundations and Gifts .
As a member of the Vice Chancellor's leadership team, the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration (AVC F&A) will regularly be asked to sit in meetings, or represent ORI in direct interactions, with the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, or their direct reports as well as with the counterparts in the Provost's Office and NC State colleges.
Broad responsibilities of the AVC F&A include but are not limited to:
Providing oversight of all ORI/Core Research Facilities financial management matters and of finance staff. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Working with the Vice Chancellor, Associate and Assistant Vice Chancellors, Directors, as well as other senior staff team members to create financial and goal clarity for ORI/Core Research Facilities.
• Serving as a business advisor to the Vice Chancellor and other senior ORI staff team members
• Providing insights and directions on ORI's:
• strategies and due diligence;
• business process reengineering; and
• financial and/or organizational restructuring.
• Timely and accurate financial statements.
• Managing the financial risks of ORI/Core Research Facilities.
• Financial planning and record-keeping including hands on accounting and budgeting.
• Developing operational financial plans, reports and budgets.
• Financial reporting to upper management.
• Analysis of data and the development of financial and operational business intelligence to support decision-making.
• Development of standards of financial and administrative performance, disclosure and reporting within ORI/Core Research Facilities and partner with the Finance and Business division to assist with such at the University level.
• Providing financial management standardization and improvement for ORI/Core Research Facilities and assist with such at the University level.
• Establishing and implementing financial management policies and requirements.
• Working collaboratively to improve financial management within ORI/Core Research Facilities and advise and coordinate the activities of individual units in the areas of financial management and accountability.
• Working collaboratively with any other NC State units.
• Establishing internal financial controls across the divisions.
•Leading, managing, and maintaining the operating, financial and budget functions directly supported by ORI. This includes but is not limited to the College Share F&A budget ($15 million) and the F&A Strategic Research Fund ($8 million).
Administer, direct and oversee all ORI/Core Research Facilities business functions and personnel. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Oversight and the provision of direct business services related to procurement, travel, billing, reporting, information technology, etc. to subsidiary units reporting to ORI and
• Ensuring administrative cost effectiveness by optimizing people, processes and technology, and enhance the availability and relevancy of financial and administrative information used in strategic planning, budgeting and decision-making.
• Administer, direct and oversee the ORI Integrated Support Services Center (ISSC).
• Provide oversight of research administration matters as it relates to research pre/post functions needed by non-college affiliated NC State units.. This includes, but is not limited to ORI Centers & Institutes, as well as research generating units within the Chancellor's Office, the Provost's Office, the Office of Information Technology and the Finance and Business Division.
• Serve as financial point of contact for ORI leadership, Finance & Business Division and other relevant entities for financial reporting related to NC State Centers & Institutes.
Perform additional duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree with a minimum of three (3) years or greater of related professional experience, or BS in Business accounting, or related field with at least five (5) years of experience.
Other Required Qualifications:
• Proven track record of supervisory and leadership experience in business administration, finance, and/or management.
• Excellent listening, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Ability to develop and administer fiscal plans, financial systems, policies, and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to relate complex information in an understandable manner to a variety of people with various levels of knowledge.
• Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to diverse populations.
• Strong analytical, administrative, critical thinking, project management, and continuous quality improvement skills
• Licensed as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), and/or an MS in accounting, and/or an MBA.
• Familiarity with research administration and grant management.
Required License(s) or Certification(s): N/A
Valid NC Driver's License required: No
Commercial Driver's License required: No
Recruitment Dates and Special Instructions
Job Open Dat: 06/10/2022
Anticipated Close Date: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for at least three (3) professional references.
Position Number: 00104460
Position Type: SAAO Tier II
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week): 1.00
Appointment: 12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation - Adverse Weather: Non Mandatory: Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency Events: Non Mandatory - Emergency Event
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No
Department ID: 060101 - Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)
If interested, please apply:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
NC State University