UC Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, CA
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research
Under leadership of the Vice Chancellor for Research, the Office of Research has primary responsibility for research policy, planning and administration of the UC Santa Cruz Research enterprise. The Office of Research supports the research community through five units: the Office of Sponsored Projects, Research Development, the Office of Research Compliance Administration, the Innovation & Business Engagement HUB and the Office of Research Business & Operations.
The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research (AVC-R) reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR). The AVC-R is a member of the VCR's leadership team and directs through subordinate managers multiple units within the Office of Research (OR): Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP), Office of Compliance Research Administration (ORCA) and Research Integrity and Export Control.
The AVC-R oversees research administration and compliance and develops organizational policies and authorizes their implementation. As part of the OR senior leadership group, the AVC-R plays a key role in resource planning, long-range strategic planning and performance measurement. The AVC-R provides advice, guidance and assistance to the senior leadership of the organization. The AVC-R represents the organization in organization-wide and systemwide meetings and discussions. The AVC-R is responsible for helping move issues to resolution, often by consulting with multiple units within the VCR's organization and across campus, and is a key contributor to the Vice Chancellor's success in managing the UCSC research enterprise.
50% - Management and Leadership
• Directs the activities of suboridinate managers, having overall responsibility for functional programs. Provides guidance to subordinate managers to resolve complex research administration issues.
• Ensures the overall monitoring and success of assigned functions and for integrating these activities with other campus units.
• Leads senior managers to establish organizational strategic plans and goals that work towards ensuring compliance and effective management of units.
• Determines organizational structures of assigned departments and allocation of subordinate management responsibilities.
• Provides consultation on a variety of HR and financial management issues.
• Serves as the Title IX liaison for campus research areas.
25% - Strategic planning
• Makes long-term strategic decisions that reflect upon the organization as a whole, and may be emulated at other UC locations.
• Represents the campus on system-wide working groups and committees, maintains relationships with colleagues across the system and at University of California, Office of the President (UCOP) to ensure consistency and compliance and stay informed of changing policies.
• Leads large research administration projects to protect the organizational assets.
25% - Advising and Consultation
• Advises senior management and faculty on complex grant and contract proposals or compliance issues, such as Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Program (IACUC), foreign influence and Conflict of Interest (COI).
• Working with senior management, advises and identifies solutions on controversial situations, customer negotiations, implementation of policies and procedures.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Excellent leadership abilities with the ability to establish mission and goals at the macro-level; to lead subordinate management to develop goals in alignment with mission.
• Experience managing large teams requiring subject level expertise.
• Strong research skills with ability to analyze and synthesize information or circumstances to define problems and suggest solutions.
• Thorough knowledge of research contracts and grants management.
• Excellent skills to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations.
• Excellent skills in conflict management techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to establish metrics for department and employee goals which measure effectiveness of contributions to efficient operations of department.
• Advanced skills in strategy development, systems planning and change management.
• Advanced project management skills.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to develop productive working relationships; to establish credibility with all levels of leadership.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities/projects simultaneously and deliver quality results on deadline.
• Strong command of current desktop technology to create professional documents, spreadsheets and reports.
• Advanced degree preferred.
• Experience with compliance activities, i.e., an understanding of Human Subject and • Animal protection, as well as familiarity with Export Control, Conflict of Interest (COI), Research Ethics, and other compliance areas.
• Thorough knowledge of the organizational environment of higher education at a large research university.
• Knowledge of UC policies and procedures.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• This position may be considered for hybrid work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement and dependent on the needs of the research community, with the potential requirement to come to campus for some meetings or events. While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working in person at a UCSC worksite.
• The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply Online at: http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=232059
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process - https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=11&JobOpeningId=37927&PostingSeq=1.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
UC Santa Cruz
Authorized to work in the US