The City University of New York (CUNY) is seeking a University Research Compliance Officer for the Office of Research (OR). This professional will manage CUNY’s Human Research Protection Program (HRPP), pursue University-wide HRPP policy and procedure development initiatives, and oversee operations necessary for adequate compliance monitoring, including audits, investigations, suspensions, and terminations of research protocols.
In a single integrated university system of 25 colleges and schools, the CUNY Office of Research is responsible for the strategic leadership of university-wide initiatives aimed at building research capacity for members of the CUNY community, from students to senior faculty. Their research, scholarly, and creative pursuits are supported through three OR divisions: Research Development and Programs; Innovation and Entrepreneurship; and Research Integrity and Compliance. Jointly, these divisions encourage collaborative and transdisciplinary research innovations; foster startups and commercialization both within and beyond the CUNY community; and ensure adherence to the standards that govern research ethics and sponsored program administration.
Reporting to the University Executive Director for Research Integrity and Compliance, the University Research Compliance Officer will oversee all research misconduct investigations; facilitate training efforts for CUNY-wide stakeholders in responsible research conduct; and partner with OR colleagues to implement various education and quality improvement programs for all research compliance areas across CUNY’s 25 colleges and schools.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, other key duties include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Manage the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the efficient review of research proposals involving human subjects.
- Create detailed protocols on all Institutional Review Board (IRB) concerns, giving clear and concise regulatory and ethical information and guidance.
- Conduct preliminary reviews of research protocols requiring oversight by a convened IRB; oversee IRB meetings.
- Provide regulatory, policy and administrative guidance to campus IRB members, and HRPP Coordinators on all compliance issues.
- Promote collaborative initiatives to ensure robust training of campus-based HRPP Coordinators and IRB members.
- Facilitate the education and training of CUNY-wide stakeholders in responsible research conduct, in partnership with OR compliance colleagues.
- Serve as the lead administrator for HRPP research misconduct proceedings.
- Identify and engage experts to conduct appropriate reviews of research protocols to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Identify, recruit, and maintain collaborative relationships with external consultants, auditors, and other experts as required.
Until further notice, this is a hybrid position, eligible to work remotely and work on-site in the office. All CUNY employees must reside within a commutable distance to the tri-state area.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
The City University of New York
205 East 42nd Street
New York, New York 10017
Authorized to work in the US