Grants and Contracts Specialist
Department: Business Administration
Office/Group: Business Administration
Reports To: Accounting Manager
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
Administers the pre-award and post-award grant management activities to obtain optimum efficiency and economy of operations and to maximize resources by performing the following duties personally and in support of HARC’s policies and the goals and objectives established by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Reviews funding opportunity search sites on a regular basis for new funding announcements and conveys potential funding opportunities to appropriate PIs and Administration.
· Reviews proposals and their corresponding RFP, RFQ or funding guidelines to ensure that applications for funding are complete, accurate and timely.
· Performs post-award administration duties on a daily basis to ensure appropriate management of project resources and compliance with sponsors’ requirements.
· Contributes to the design, implementation and monitoring of financial system processes and enhancements to enhance efficiency and/or improve compliance with sponsors’ requirements.
· Monitors and updates proposal status in a timely manner.
· Makes recommendations for the negotiations of new awards in a timely manner, obtaining guidance from supervisor as necessary.
· Creates new project accounts in HARCs financial system promptly and accurately.
· Manages subcontractor agreements to ensure compliance with project-specific contract terms and conditions and audit requirements.
· Maintains and updates grants management information system on an ongoing basis.
· Participates in month-end financial closing process to ensure that any budget or expense irregularities are immediately identified and resolved to maximize cash flow.
· Assists, as requested, with HARC’s audit.
· Assists as needed in the preparation of the annual HARC budget.
· Provides assistance and guidance in the use of the financial management system.
· Maintains positive, open lines of communication with researchers and support teams.
· Responds to PI’s and corresponding research team’s requests in a timely manner.
· Assists researchers in finding external funding
· Assists researchers in preparing their proposals and budgets and submits final documents to the sponsor on behalf of HARC
· Schedules and conducts new project award kickoff meetings to include the PI, AA, BA, IT/GIS and Communications staff and others as appropriate to discuss the terms and conditions of the new award, focusing on financial and compliance requirements.
· Provides guidance and assistance as needed to Principal Investigators (PIs) and Administrative Assistants (AAs) with respect to postaward administration, including, but not limited to, Sponsor requirements, compliance, and expenditures.
· Drafts research project subcontractor and consultant agreements for VP’s review, making sure all applicable flow down clauses are included.
· Gently reminds PIs and AAs of project deadlines and deliverables.
· Serves as liaison with sponsors on contractual items and as a focal point for communications between PIs, AAs, and funding sources.
· Serves as liaison with subcontractors and consultants on contractual concerns.
· Serves as an active and essential member of the BA team, participating in meetings and discussions and offering proactive ideas for work process improvements.
· Develops and presents “Food for Thought” lectures as needed on relevant BA topics, either individually or in collaboration with other BA team members.
· Serves as requested on ad hoc committees to review job applicants and/or RFP responses.
· Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles, theories and practices in his/her discipline.
· Maintains knowledge and skills in nonprofit leadership and performance management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent and two years of experience; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry; including but not limited to, fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word (word processing software); Excel (spreadsheet software); MS Outlook (email software), internet search engines and the internet. Competence in Power Point and Access or other database management software is desirable.
Certificates and Licenses:
None required. Certified Research Administrator (CRA) is desirable.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ordinarily, the employee must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies: Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Uses intuition and experience to complement data. Design - Generates creative solutions; Demonstrates attention to detail. Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics. Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others. Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments. Interpersonal - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things. Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings. Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members. Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information. Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals. Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources. Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment. Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values. Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity. Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time. Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan. Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed. Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention. Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions. Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals. Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans. Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments. Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality. Quantity - Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly. Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Houston Advanced Research Center
8801 Gosling Rd
The Woodlands, TX 77381
Authorized to work in the US