The Sponsored Programs division in the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation has an opening for a (Senior) Pre-Award Associate. The (Senior) Pre-Award Associate (research administrator) advises and assists faculty in the preparation of proposals for funding and ensure compliance with university and sponsor policies, procedures and requirements, and be comfortable working in situations where answers are not always clearly defined.
The successful candidate will possess initiative and the ability to work independently but consult with appropriate parties as needed, and be able to problem solve and maintain professional composure while working under pressure of internal and external deadlines, utilize problem solving skills and excellent customer service skills to work collaboratively and effectively with faculty, staff, students, and sponsors. They must be energetic and able to function effectively and independently in a fast-moving environment subject to external pressure and frequent interruptions.
In addition, the senior pre-award level will be responsible for conducting award negotiations and timely award execution, as well as work closely with the assigned team in the pre-award coordination and operations of the office.
Depending on the knowledge, skills and ability of the successful candidate, the offer may be at either the Pre-Award Associate or Senior Pre-Award Associate level.
- Bachelor's degree or lesser degree with significant relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor's degree
- Budgeting or financial experience and/or experience with non-profit program administration
- Demonstrated experience and/or college coursework with emphasis on accounting, finance, or government/business regulations and administration (required for Senior Pre-Award Associate).
- Demonstrated experience with federal and nonfederal grants and/or contract regulations
- Familiarity with university administrative practices and procedures
- Proficiency with spreadsheet software
300 Turner Street NE
Blacksburg, VA 24061