Executive Director - Research Policy, Analysis and Coordination
Research and Graduate Studies
The University of California, Office of the President invites qualified candidates to apply for an exciting leadership opportunity as the Executive Director, Research Policy, Analysis and Coordination. The University of California is the state’s premier public research university and one of its largest employers. Our campuses are routinely ranked among the best in the world. The Office of the President is the system-wide headquarters of the University of California, managing its fiscal and business operations, supporting the academic and research missions across its ten campuses, three national laboratories and five medical centers
Research, Policy, Analysis, and Coordination (RPAC) is responsible for development and implementation of policies related to research and technology transfer at the University; providing guidance and assistance to University of California (UC) campuses and Office of the President (UCOP) with respect to policies and practices governing the research enterprise.
A successful partner will be:
• A strategic and collaborative leader providing systemwide leadership and representing the University in shaping research and technology transfer related policies at the state and national level.
• A recognized and influential policy expert that assures UC maintains a national presence on relevant policy issues and building relationships with institutions, associations and organizations on a wide range of research policy and regulatory issues.
• An extraordinary communicator who is able to represent the university in high level interaction on matters of considerable diversity, complexity, and political sensitivity.
• An effective leader that provides oversight and guidance to a highly specialized technical team in development of UC policies and intelligence affecting systemwide academic research. Responsible for the budget and organizational resources.
Qualifications for an ideal candidate:
• Bachelor's degree in related area and at least twelve years of progressively responsible experience working in university research administration and/or policy analysis, or equivalent combination of experience and training.
• Expert knowledge of major academic policies and procedures at UC or in higher education in general, including mission, goals, issues, and infrastructure.
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate professional relationships with a broad range of constituents, such as University faculty, staff, research sponsors, peers in other institutions, and higher education associations.
• Excellent judgment and political acumen in dealing with internal and external stakeholders in ambiguous situations or on high-profile issues. Excellent negotiating skills.
• Leadership abilities to oversee multiple functions or departments through subordinate managers.
• Preferred: Advanced Degree and UC Experience
The University offers a competitive salary and benefits program. To learn more, click here: Working at UC. Qualified candidates -please view the full job description and apply with a resume and cover letter online at Executive Director- Research Policy, Analysis and Coordination First Review date is March 20, 2019.
For more information please contact Kelly Howard, Executive Recruitment Manager of UCOP Talent Acquisition.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
To Apply, visit:
University of California Office of the President
Oakland, CA 94607